Sunday, November 4, 2012

Your American Duty

In three days my nation will choose its leader for the next four years. That's exciting in it's own way, but what might be more exciting are the questions on this year's ballot.

There are three questions for Massachusetts Voters. The first one has something to do with cars so we're going to ignore it for the sake of this blog's purpose. Questions 2 and 3 are not only medical related, but also interesting, complex, controversial and down-right "agree with me or it's ON!" Yes, your answer to these questions is well worth fighting over and what's more, they might change the future for this state.

According to my "Massachusetts Information for Voters" booklet (that I got in the mail) Question 2 is "Prescribing Medication to End Life." The summary text says (paraphrased) the proposed law would allow a physician licensed in Massachusetts to prescribe medication, at a terminally ill's patient request, to end that patient's life. Patients would have to be an adult resident who (1) is determined to be mentally capable of making health care decisions; (2) diagnosed with a terminal disease that will cause death in six months and (3) have an informed decision regarding voluntarily expression of a wish to die. Full text here

Of course there are people in favor and people against. For me, I'm leaning towards a yes on this. There are some flaws, like the arbitrary six months factor or patients not needing a psychiatrist visit - which worry me. Laws should be air tight.  But I also understand wanting to die with dignity, something everyone deserves.

As of February 2012, Oregon is the only state to have legal physician-assisted suicide and since its inception in 1998, 596 patients have died through lethal medication. If Massachusetts votes yes on this law, we could very well follow steps similar to Oregon.

The other medical-related question is the use of medical marijuana. The summary for this proposed law would allow patients diagnosed with a debilitating medical condition, a written certification from a physician with whom the patient has a bona fide physician-patient relationship, access to medical marijuana. The proposed law also allows patients to have a 21+ personal caregiver who could assist with the patient’s medical use of marijuana but would be prohibited from consuming that marijuana. Patients and caregivers would have to register with Department of Public Health. Additionally, the law would not override federal actions and no public or private space would be forced to accommodate the use of medical marijuana. Full text here.

Again, people in favor. People against. And again, I'm leaning towards a yes. This bill has better writing - including strict penlites and thought-out ideas - and it would require treatment centers to pay a registration fee to the Department of Public Health, and lord knows the government could use some more money.

According to ProCon.org, 17 states currently allow medical marijuana. And while the future is impossible to tell, there is the hope that if this law is enacted, it would reduce the purchasing and growing illegal marijuana.

What are your feelings regarding on these questions?

3 comments:

  1. I was very disappointed about the defeat of Death with Dignity. The Catholic Church spent lots of money and other resources to influence this. So did pharm companies, hospitals, MDs etc. The opponents outspent my side by 4X the dollars. Money talks and lots of voters are too uneducated to know when they are being manipulated. Don't forget, in addition to the religious objections the Catholics have, they are also one of the largest providers of healthcare in the country.

    Now, let's see if the opponents do what they said should be done and make real efforts to improve end of life care. It will be interesting to see if they put their money where their mouth is then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking the Death with Dignity would have passed, and i think it should have. I believe the reason is because it was so under talked about. The ads were bias and confusing. People are not quite ready for this to pass. However, it lost 49:51. That is very close. I think if presented properly and medically, it will pass next time around. People are scared, but let's not forget about how sick people can be and the pain they can be going through. If they want to keep going despite the pain, well good for them, but for me... I would want to let go (perhaps easier said because I am not facing it). I wish it passed for those who need and believe in it.
    As far as medical marijuana passing, I think it is awesome. I have seem people with MS smoke and their pain goes away right before your eyes, I have seen a girl who stuttered so badly she couldn't get a job, the minute she would smoke, she could speak... how can you deny that to someone. Give them a pill, but not what nature grows? I don't get it so I am very glad it passed and I hope it gets rolling (no pun intended) soon so less suffering can be a reality. - Becky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't really know much about question 2, so I can't really provide an educated opinion about the outcome. I do, however, feel that the passing of question 3 is a huge step in the right direction. I know a lot of people my age who think the legalization of marijuana means that they can just make something up, get a prescription, and be able to get stoned even more than they do now. But that's not what I want. I think marijuana has so many benefits, and those benefits are too often overlooked. The negative stigma attached to marijuana is being removed, and I think that's a great thing. People are now seeing that smoking marijuana doesn't just make you lazy and eat a lot of junk food. Smoking marijuana can give people with serious medical issues relief from their pain and suffering. It can help cancer patients losing hope get through their treatment much easier. Pot isn't just a recreational pass-time. It's a natural medicine.

    ReplyDelete