Friday, November 16, 2012

eeny, meeny miny mo

The first week I lived in my own apartment in Salem I found a grocery store in walking distance, got cable, opened a local bank account and found a veterinarian for my cats. Flash forward 430 days ( oneyr, two months) and I'm looking for a doctor again - this time for me.

Since I live in Salem, I'm using the North Shore Medical Center website to find a doctor, but I'm shocked to discover just how difficult this task really is. You can find a list of primary care doctors accepting patients, but it just has their name, office information (phone number, hours, location), education history, practice partners and additional languages (if any). Some say what insurances they accept, but a vast amount require phone calls to see if you'll be covered.

And while that information is important, a doctor is much, much more than their history and office information. Their personality and general "bedside manner" is just as important, if not more, than their qualifications. He or she may be the best doctor in the world, but I know that if I can't stand to be in the same room as him/her than I won't listen to the diagnosis.

There are websites with clever names that provide more information, reviews and sometimes awards the doctor may have, but these are provided by faceless usernames and arbitrary rating systems. I feel as if I learn nothing more concrete about the actual doctor.

In class and in the readings, we've talked about how healthcare is changing - especially when it comes to technology. Some of it is for the better. But I can't help wondering if technology is making finding a doctor both easier and harder. With so many choices and so many results, how do I know if I'm overlooking someone?

Or worse, if I'm trusting a bad source and setting an appointment with an over-hyped doctor?

-Joe

Related readings: a 2008 New York Times article and genetic website's "tips on finding a doctor" article.

8 comments:

  1. there's always&almost too much information about everything. It so easy to get paralyzed by making a decision, as if every single decision we make has to be perfect. And the world will collapse if we make a single wrong choice. Relax, if the doc you pick sucks, pick another. Keep doing that till you find someone you like. Or, just deal with having a doc you're not crazy about. Unless you have some health issues ( or you're a hypochondriac like Matt), you won't be seeing your doctor that often. don't forget insurance may be factor in choice as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not super worried, but it's one of those things where I don't really know what I'm doing, so I'm over-thinking it. Also, I haven't seen a doctor in 4 years, so I'm more worried about that than the act of seeing a doctor.

      Delete
  2. Luckily my primary doctor is my mom's primary, so I already knew her and my whole family goes to the same office. I think it's easier to trust the opinion of people you know (especially your family), than random people online. However, I agree that it's not too big of a deal. The only way you can know if the doctor is one you will like is if you meet him or her in person. If you like them, great, if not, find someone else! Just because someone has a ton of awards on their wall doesn't mean they'll be someone you necessarily gel with. Personally, I can't decide if I like someone based on anything online, no matter how detailed it may be. I need interpersonal connection. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the internet, it's amazing. But I almost never feel comfortable trusting what I read because there's a certain lack of validity inherent in internet culture.

      Delete
  3. I never had to make the decision of choosing my own doctor. When I was a baby, my parents picked my pediatrician of course (though the image of a baby looking through the yellow pages is funny), and when I got older I just went to the doctor my mom was going to. Good luck with the search, don't make it harder than it needs to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still think the best way to find a doctor is through someone you know. I have found different doctors all different ways and finding a good one that also sports that thing, what did you call it? Oh ya, bedside manner, is tres difficult indeed. I think you should interview your doctor to make sure they are the right fit, sometimes this can be a pain in the ass, but it is worth it if you get really sick. Seriously, try asking a friend, it might be that easy. Cheers, Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There comes a point in your working life where you find a practical application for small talk: choosing a doctor is a great topic for this purpose. People almost always want to connect with others on some level, and usually feel good about helping you find a need fulfilled, especially if they can do so with in the space of five minutes and between what the weather is like and topical political opinions. Start asking co-workers and family members. The advice can be invaluable, especially at holiday parties (which I have found easier to swallow with a vodka tonic ;) Happy hunting

      Delete
  5. It's great that you recognize how important it is to have a doctor with a personality that you can get along with. When I was in EMT school my instructors told me that you can be the best EMT in the world, but if you're rude or disrespectful nobody is going to care. In this same respect you could be maybe a not-so-great EMT, but if you're kind and good at talking to people they may think you're the best. Think about when people complain about nurses - Does anybody ever say, "Wow! That nurse's clinical skills were so bad, he or she couldn't even get an IV in me!" No, it's always "That nurse was so nice and great to talk to!" or "That nurse had no personality and didn't seem to care about me."

    There are people of all personality styles in all professions. So I hope you're able to find a doctor you get a long well with. And if you don't then, well, try and find a new one I suppose!

    ReplyDelete