Friday, November 30, 2012

The Next Big Thing!

 


If you jump to the 3:20 mark, you can hear one of the most logical, interesting and honest approaches to scientific developments ever said. To set the scene, Ross and Phoebe are arguing about evolution after Phoebe says she doesn't believe in it. She's not arguing that it isn't real, just that she doesn't believe in it.

The quote I was referring to is thus: "Now, wasn't there a time when the brightest minds in the world believed the Earth was flat. And up until like what 50 years ago, you all thought the atom was the smallest thing until you split it open and this like whole mess a crap came out..."

In essences, the quote highlights one of the most outrageous facts about science: that nothing is ever 100 percent the final answer. Right now, DNA is one of the biggest topics in the medical field. Just this September one of New York Times' most prolific columnist wrote a huge article about a discovery that is suppose to change how DNA is viewed. However, the article would gather large criticism in the coming days.

Nonetheless, it highlights my point perfectly: every couple of years some Earth-shattering discovery is going to be made. Just last week, NASA announced that there might be water/ice on Mercury. With the medical field expanding and increasing in profitability, we can only expect there to be more and more 'life-changing' ideas and theories being published.

Edited to add: Don't get me wrong, I love that there are new discoveries being made ever day. It's just, at what point do these discoveries jade us. At what point do we lose the "Gee Whiz" factor.

Or, do these discoveries only heighten the Gee Whiz reaction from us? Almost like we know we'll never fully understand the universe, but that isn't stopping us from trying. That each new discover is like wiping fog off a window: we just want to see more of what this world has to offer.

9 comments:

  1. First off, I love Friends. I watch it all day everyday ha. But you're right. Science is always changing. New discoveries are being made all the time, and nothing is ever set in stone. It's a great field to get into, both as a scientist and as a journalist. There will always be something to discover, and thus, there will always be something to write about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I love Friends too! And you make a good point. With constant discoveries comes the constant need to write about them and spread the info. And I like the idea that I could potential have a job because of this. haha

      Delete
  2. During my freshman year Cell Bio class we were reading about an experiment in our book, by the next class it had been proven wrong.It was all over the news. My professor was so excited for us to see science change right in front of our eyes. It was pretty cool and I apologize for not remembering which experiment it was (it was 4 years ago). Regardless of which one it was, it really was awesome to watch the change. Except now the book was old news and the bookstore didn't buy it back. Oh well. -Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's really cool. I know in my Writing for Modern Publications class, a law change made a couple invalid. It was pretty neat to have the syllabus dramatically change like that.

      Delete
  3. Do you think things like evolution, fluoridation and global warming aren't true because there's no absolute, indisputable proof? Many rightwing/teapartiers don't believe these things despite overwhelming scientific evidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I totally believe in evolution and global warming, 100%. I added a bit to explain myself better, but what I was trying to say was that science is cool because there's always something happening, and whatever happens always seems so big.

      It's exciting but it's also kind of... annoying. Like can't I just go a day without something happening? This post is less of me arguing something or trying to prove something, and more of me saying "hey, isn't this weird?"

      Delete
  4. You are correct, and because it's always changing is what makes it so interesting. You brought up water on mercury, a great example, it feels like just a little while ago they were discovering it on mars.

    P.S. loved the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it feels like there's water everywhere! I remember hearing that one of (I think) Neptune's moon might have water. Space is freaky.

      Delete
  5. There is so much out there that it is hard to believe we've been afforded the opportunity to see an of it. I feel so lucky everyday to be able to witness and learn more about the world/universe around us, and look forward to the unknown. I really liked your "fog being wiped from a window" metaphor :)

    ReplyDelete